Many wait to call hospice for a loved one until their final days or weeks of life. The truth is that personalized nursing care, medical equipment and supplies related to their loved one’s terminal illness, could have started at no cost much earlier. The entire family could have received emotional, spiritual and grief support as well. Experts agree that hospice is most beneficial when provided for a minimum of 3 months, with 6 months being ideal.
Since hospice care can immediately improve the quality of life for both patients and family members, call us as soon your loved one experiences any of the following:
- Makes numerous visits to the ER or hospital for complications of disease
- Calls a physician’s office frequently
- Has increased pain and current pain medications seem less effective
- Has shortness of breath, even while resting
- Has significant, unintentional weight loss
- Spends most of their time in a chair or bed
- Needs assistance with most activities of daily living
- Has frequent falls
- Chooses to focus on quality of life and comfort rather than cure of the disease
Please know a doctor’s referral for hospice care is not required. Unity is available 24/7 to answer your questions or to schedule a free informational visit in your home.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.